.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mittwoch, November 30, 2005

Aceh Journal: Freunden und Familie

Happy Thanksgiving to you Americans!
I'm not quite sure if this is a western holiday or just an American holiday.
So Who else celebrate Thanksgiving besides American?


Nothing makes me happier last week than a cd from Bandung.
Not a single thing but that cd.
I's like a billion dollars price!
U noe what's insied that cd?
My family's photographs!!! Mostly my nieces', though! :)
I cried watching the pictures slide, realizing that I have missed so much.
I realized that I hate it a lot being far away from my family.
I hate it a lot missing everything going on in Bandung.
Especially after yesterday my mom said that my uncle is dying. He had a very bad complication concerning kidney cancer, etc. etc. until lungs problem. Doctors predicted he only has 2 more months.

Last Wednesday my manager told me to attend a civil society conference for two days until Thursday.
The whole two days cheered me up a bit, but also sadden me.
Happy because I made some new friends, and met my old friends.
Sad because the whole conference made me realize how I miss all those trainings.
I really miss all those trainings!
The freedom, the nature, being able to meet new people, being able to go from place to place, spending nights in tents (or in hotels sometimes :p)

Anyway, am very happy to be able to meet new people.
Greetings to you: Martina, Mirak, Ashir, Arif and Kultida.
Kultida ... I was pretty sure you said your name was Marina. Then I realized not, after seeing your business card.
And to Dylan, Daphne and Nick.
Hope y'all are back safe! :) and continue helping people wherever you are.

This whole time the world has been focusing the relief work in Aceh. Billions and billions of dollars were spent to rehab and reconstruct Aceh. Somehow I think we kinda "forget" about other countries that were hit by tsunami too, or like Pakistan who wah shaken by a big earthquake.
I mean, yea, compared to other countries, Aceh was the worst, but still we need to pay attention to other countries too.
Compared to Aceh who now has about 200 NGOs (locals and international), how many NGOs do other countries have?
Not trying to focus on the number of NGOs, but that's definitely a start.
The conference last week mentioned about how tsunami brought or opened a chance for peacemaking in Aceh. Then Mirak from Srilanka told us the story of what happened in Srilanka, how they are now back in the war condition. The relief work has not been finished, but people have gone back to war.
Then there was also a story from Thailand and India.
I'm just saying that we all have the same problem, whether it's in the same form or not, and we should all pray for our nation, the government, and also other countries around the world.

Last week came some government people from Jakarta, wanting to see what we have done so far in Aceh.
The office was pretty busy preparing things for their arrival (last Friday afternoon).
Making powerpoint presentations, reserving hotel rooms, and telling village people to prepare themselves for a visit last Saturday.

Last week I heard a pretty shocking news. My first niece needs an operation. Pretty bad I guess, considering that doctors encouraged my sister to have an operation.
Please pray for Kei (my niece), so that she can survive through the operation and recover soon.
I don't really know when she'll have the operation, but my sister said it might be early December.
I feel sorry for her, for having to go through an operation at such a young age (2.5 yrs).

This also happened last week. The IT dept decided to cut off most internet access in the office (but managers' and coordinators' computers). Don't really know why, but I heard something about them not wanting people to use internet in the wrong way, such as downloading mp3s, movies, etc.
So now I'm having quite a hard time going online in the office. Am trying to request for an access in my computer :)
Hope my manage approve this :)
And still no news about national staff or not. But I did get the news that my contract is going to be extended! :)

It's gonna be December 26 soon.
Christmas is coming, and that means 1st anniversary of tsunami is coming as well.
I'll write again with news of the celebrations.

cheers!
hye
November 30, 2005

photos: www.flickr.com/photos/hye
blog: hyemania.blogspot.com

Comments: Kommentar veröffentlichen



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?