.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Montag, Juli 10, 2006

Aceh Journal: Don't Worry Be Happy

Dear friends,
some of you have been asking why I stopped writing Aceh Journal.
I didn't actually .. I was only out of internet connections for several months, and now I'm back with 2 journals.
I just sent the other one earlier (Aceh Journal: Presumption of Innocence).

Anyway, here's the other one I wrote last weekend.

A little update about the LOGA: just this morning people were demonstrating in front of AMM office. DUn know for sure why they did that, but I think it's because there's a concern that the LOGA will not be as they had expected. They feel that some of what's inside LOGA are contrary to the Helsinki MoU.

"Have a great weekend!" :)
That's what we all say Friday afternoon in the office, knowing that another week has passed and a new one is waiting to knock on our door. We have 2 days to take a break ... before our mind is filled with another stressful (or fun) stuffs.
What do you do on your weekend might be different from what your neighbor do on their weekend. For us here in Aceh, weekend is the time, if not the only time, to look for entertainment after a week of hard work. And last night I started my weekend with a party. Another party I should say because I've had parties like this almost a year ago. I almost forget how fun it is to meet people or just to see people meeting their old friends. Nothing fancy, just loud music and drinks. Infact .. I just got home from the party.
One thing I notice from the parties held by NGO workers here in Aceh is that most of the parties are held by bule(s).
From a conversation with friends I found out that the bules are still having parties regularly, with or without the nationals. And the parties are just like the one I had last night, a drink party.

And then the most unusual thing happened. At 3 a.m. in the morning, on my way home, when I was walking from the party place to the main street, I met these 2 teenagers. THey were riding a motorbike, going to go home from their friend's place. They went passed me and then turned back and asked if where I was heading. I told them I was heading to the main street to find a becak, and they offered me a lift. At that kind of hour I realized that trying to find a becak is amost as impossible as trying to see if the supermarket is still open. I mean at 3 a.m.? Later these kids offered not only to take me to the main street, but also dropped me off by my house. Then I offered to give them something in return for their kindness, but they refused to take any. They immediately left.
Strange? Maybe not! But I really think this is amazing because I really needed the lift.
what's funny was that one of the kid's name is Ernest. How strange is that??? :)

God is good, all the time He's good! :)

For me, what those 2 highschool students did was touching. Try finding kids like this in bigger cities ... Remember that I didn't ask for any favor, they offered me the favor. I think you'll have your beard grown first before you even find people like them. I mean in a time where people are more individualist than helping each other, people like those kids still exists. How often do you see people helping people in need without being asked to do so and without any hidden motives?

Anyway, Aceh is going to have a LOGA (Law on the Government of Aceh, if I remember correctly) soon. This LOGA has been prepared for months through many discussions and meetings. Let's hope this turns out well.

This week there was an incident in Paya Bakong, a village in North Aceh I think. An ex-GAM was shot to death by an unidentified shooter when he was inside the AMM (Aceh Monitoring Mission) car, and a police officer was also injured in that incident. This story became a headline for the local papers for several days. It is still not clear who did the shooting. Some said the TNI, others said the police or the GAM themselves. We haven't heard any more news from the authority.

hye
8 July 2K6

*Italy rocks - FIFA World Cup Germany 2006 winner* ... see ya' in another 4 years! :)





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?